Foxton Representation Still Under Threat

June 21, 2018

Its existence is under threat, but the Foxton Community Board is pledging to carry on with

business.

 

Board deputy chairwoman Tricia Metcalf said "I think we need to keep going. Once you lose it,

you'll never get it again, adding that our community is very diverse.

 

The board's future was called into question in a review of representation by Horowhenua

District Council, launched in April. The council proposed the board shut down at the next local

elections to cut costs, and create more equitable representation across the district.

 

Community submissions were sought, and a public meeting in May about the proposal was well attended by "angry" residents, according to Ms Metcalf.

 

The council's manager of corporate services Mark Lester said there had been a good amount of feedback from the public, with 105 submissions, and a petition signed by more than 360 people to keep the board.

 

Hearings will be held at a July 4 meeting and council discussions will take place on July 11, when a final proposal will be drawn up. Another one-month consultation period will follow.

 

If there are any objections or appeals, the Local Government Commission will make a final decision on the board's future before April 10 next year.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Featured Posts

Fonterra to close Te Roto site and petition launched

September 26, 2019

1/10
Please reload

Recent Posts
Please reload

Archive
Please reload

Search By Tags