U-Turn on Kiosk Demolition Decision

September 3, 2018

The Kapiti Coast District Council has done a U-turn on demolishing the iconic Maclean Park kiosk in Paraparaumu.

 

The council issued a press release last Thursday confirming the kiosk would be demolished, as relocating the structure was not practical or cost effective.

 

The KCDC media statement last week said, "The Maclean Park upgrade is moving forward with confirmation that the park’s kiosk will be demolished, and the materials will be re-purposed where practical, in the coming weeks."

 

But Chair of the Paraparaumu-Raumati Community Board Jonny Best told Beach FM today that council was now considering an option that doesn't involve demolition.

 

"“My understanding is that council is considering whether there is another option that doesn’t involve demolition,” he told the Beach FM Breakfast Show.

 

Mr Best didn't know whether this meant staff were still working through the issues or whether there was an interested party looking to take the kiosk away.

 

Late this afternoon, Council Group Manager, Infrastructure Services, Sean Mallon also  confirmed with Beach FM, that council was now exploring alternative options to demolition.

 

The proposal to 'remove' the Kiosk was outined in the 2017 Maclean Park Reserve Management Plan, which was developed after significant community consultation.

 

Mr Best understands that at the time only 2 of the 107 submissions received, favoured retaining the kiosk.

 

But last week, when some members of the community understood 'remove' could mean 'demolition', there was a sharp public reaction, especially on social media.

 

Some alternative suggestions posted by the public included offering the building to community groups for removal, advertising it on Trade Me, relocating it another site for public or commercial use.

 

Asked whether the council was bowing to public pressure to retain the kiosk, Mr Mallon says there have had been some public concerns, but things were "evolving". 

 

Mr Mallon expects more information will be available this Wednesday or Thursday about the likely fate of the kiosk.


 

HISTORY OF KIOSK

 

1978 - 1980   The kiosk building was built at this time by the Kapiti Borough Council, at the southern end of the boating pond.

 

1982    A water slide was constructed, with a moat for bumper boats below it. A miniature train was relocated from another Borough Council reserve, and the changing facilities were also upgraded.​

 

2013    The kiosk building burnt down as a result of a serious vandal attack. During this year the failing wooden sides of the pond were upgraded with a pond liner, rock revetment and fill.

 

2014 - 2015   Following a community petition the community kiosk was rebuilt.

 

Nov 2016    Community consultation began for the development and management plans.

 

2017    Maclean Park Reserve Management Plan confirms kiosk will be 'removed'.

 

 

 

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Featured Posts

Fonterra to close Te Roto site and petition launched

September 26, 2019

1/10
Please reload

Recent Posts
Please reload

Archive
Please reload

Search By Tags