The Kapiti Coast District Council has closed the Waikanae Library and Service Centre as a precaution, following air quality test results showing the presence of toxic mould.
Due to the closure, customer and library services aren’t available from Waikanae Library, and customers are advised to go to the KCDC website or visit the Paraparaumu and/or Otaki Library.
Group Manager Regulatory Services Natasha Tod says the closure isn’t an ideal situation, but we take seriously any potential risk to the health of our staff and customers.
She says council recently carried out air quality testing at the Waikanae Library and the results show that two types of mould are present that are of concern – one is non-toxic but has the potential to cause hay fever-like symptoms, and Stachybotrys which is toxic.
The toxic mould was present in three of the four sites sampled within the building.
Tod says as a precaution, the Waikanae Library closed this morning, and will remain closed until we’re confident the toxic mould has been addressed.
She says the library is likely to be closed for 1-2 weeks for maintenance and testing, but customers will be advised when a solid timeline is known.